Moving to Denmark

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Indlæg: 4
Tilmeldt: 17.03.2017 20:42:11

Moving to Denmark

Indlæg af maripsv » 17.03.2017 20:48:45

Hi, everyone

I have been in a relationship with a Danish guy for almost three years now. I am Brazilian and therefore a non-EU citizen. I don't need a VISA to visit Europe, I can stay there under the Schengen Treaty for 90 days every 180 days. However, me and my boyfriend would like to move in together and we have decided that Denmark (Europe in general) would be best for both of us. He has visited me several times in Brazil and I have visited him twice in DK, we have plenty of evidence that our relationship is real and long lasting.
However, I can't just move to Denmark without a residence permit that would allow me to work. We have thought of getting married, but although he is 24, I am still 21.
Therefore, I have some questions:

1) What could be the best way for me to be able to move to Denmark and work legally? I don't need to have a residence permit, a work VISA should be fine for me.
2) Is there any kind of waiver for the 24 year old rule?

Help me!

Thanks a lot

Indlæg: 11274
Tilmeldt: 09.06.2007 19:00:10

Re: Moving to Denmark

Indlæg af skaanebo » 17.03.2017 21:36:28

Consider using EU laws instead of national Danish laws. Ask your boyfriend to read the section on top of this page called Rådgivning.

Indlæg: 86
Tilmeldt: 05.04.2015 23:00:38

Re: Moving to Denmark

Indlæg af evc » 29.03.2017 09:04:16

You must have a residence permit in order to live her for more than 3 months. It will have certain characteristics, such as the possibility to study and work.

You can either search for a job or apply in an university. For the first, you'll have to be a qualified and experienced professional. It makes things easier if you are graduated in computer science or engineering (electric or mechanic). Now for the latter, the only problem is paying the titution fee. But if money is not a problem for you, maybe that's the best way.

If you can't afford what I mentioned above, I suggest you getting married. If you truly want to be together, it is the most convenient way. You can come to Denmark and apply from here and wait the process with him. The whole thing will take you almost 1 year, according Udlændingestyrelsen, so it's better if you can stay together.

Unless he is a a refugee or has a serious disease that can not be treated in Brazil, you can't waive the age requirement. You can apply when you are 23.5 though. Since the process will most likely take some time, you are going to be 24 already.

I would advice you to be patient. Wait until you are 23.5, move in here, get married and apply for family reunification. Read the information they have in so you are familiar with the process and the rules. Also, gather some money. This whole process is expensive, specially because you won't be able to do anything while you wait for your residence permit. You can't work and you can't study in anything that requires a CPR (like the Brazilian CPF).

If you opt for the marriage, there are certain rules regarding receiving benefits from the government that your boyfriend must meet. Also, start studying Danish from now. You'll need to do a Danish test upon receiving your permission, and it gets way more easier (and less stressful) if you know some basic Danish. is a great (and free) way to achieve that.

Have in mind that these are the Danish rules. You can also move to another EU country. By doing that you'll be subject to the EU law, which is more flexible.

Boa sorte. :) - Free bolig portal in Denmark. Announce, search and contact landlords for free.