Danish Citizenship

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
JackN

Danish Citizenship

Indlæg af JackN » 10.03.2015 11:15:16

Dear ÆUG,

First of all, thank you very much for your kindness works that you are trying to help to solve our problems/answers.

I have a question which I could not find the answer in nyidanmark and hopfully I can find info from here. This is a brief of my info:

My wife and 2 kids are Danish citizen. I have been living here 12 continuous years and had PR. I had 2 Danish degrees which I took it in English, I have finished DU2, all band scores are good(7 and 7). I have no criminal records. I have no dept(public or private) whatsoever. I have never been on kontanthjælp. Except I just lost my job.

I am planning to apply for citizenship this summer. Assuming I passed the citizenship test. But I am currently on dagpenge while looking for a new job. I don't know if this will prevent me from obtaining the citizenship? I have been told the process from the time a person apply until to get the answer is about 1 year time. I don't know if in this period I could not find a new job and still on dagpenge, will I be prevented to obtain the citizenship?

If you know something about this, I appreciate for your inputs. Thank you.

Regards,
JackN

mh
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet
Kontakt:

Re: Danish Citizenship

Indlæg af mh » 10.03.2015 11:27:37

'Dagpenge' from your unemployment insurance (a-kasse) is not a problem in relation to obtaining Danish citizenship.
mh

JackN

Indlæg af JackN » 10.03.2015 11:38:35

Thank you mh.

JackN

Indlæg af JackN » 11.06.2015 23:47:36

Hi,
I have a follow up question regarding to the same thread. One of the Danish Citizenship rules require that a person has to live in Denmark at least 9 countinous year plus having permanent resident permit.

Is there any requirements that a person must hold a permanent resident permit in a certain time before he/she is allow to apply for the Danish

Or as long as he/she has the PR, live in the country enought time plus pass the citizenship test. Can he apply?

By the way, even through I have not received the official paper for the citizenship test on the 2nd of June. I knew I hit correct 29 out of 30 questions from the exam.

Thank you and any inputs are appriciate.

Kind regards,
Jack

mh
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh » 13.06.2015 10:10:14

No, it is not required that you have PR for x months/years.You just have to have it.

Do not apply until 1st of September - by then you can apply without having to give up your present citizenship.
mh

JackN

Indlæg af JackN » 13.06.2015 18:08:55

Hi MH,

Thank you very much for your advice. By the way, I have received the letter from Lære dansk informed I got 29 out of 30, just as I expected. And I will get the Bevis on 24 June at the Lære dansk office.

In your experience, do you know the approximate time frame from the day I apply to the day I get the citizenship, assuming I am full fill all the requirements and documentation? I have been hearing around people said it takes about 1 year but I don't know.

Once again, thanks a lot for your answer and wish you had a great day.

Kind regards,
JackN

mh
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh » 13.06.2015 22:35:16

I suppose you are aware of the process?

Acquisition of Danish citizenship does not happen through an administrative process. The application must be handed in to the police, who will check that all necessary documentation is present. Then your application will be sent to the Ministry of Justice, who will examine whether all necessary conditions are fulfilled.

All acceptable applications are then sent to the parliament, who will put all names of acceptable applicants on a bill. Bills for citizenship are only prepared twice a year, in April and in October. Like all other bills the bills for citizenship have to pass through three steps, in order to become an act. This process usually takes 2-3 months. If, like this year, there is election, then the bill under preparation will be cancelled, until the new parliament is formed.

Those who applied in spring this year will therefore not get their citizenship until maybe next year. After the election the parliament goes on summer holiday and does not begin the legislative work until October.

You should not count on becoming Danish citizen until next year.
mh

JackN

Indlæg af JackN » 15.06.2015 22:04:06

Hi MH,

Once again, thank you very much for your advice.

Kind regards,
Jack

Yasmina

Indlæg af Yasmina » 28.11.2016 11:39:58

Hi there,

Does anyone know if it still that case that dagpenge is not a problem with applying for Danish citizenship after rule changes? I remember it used to be explicitly stated on the website of Udlændinge-, Integrations- og Boligministeriet that dagpenge did not count against being self-supporting but now it just says:

"En ansøger må dog godt have modtaget hjælp i form af enkeltstående ydelser af mindre beløbsmæssig størrelse, der ikke er direkte relateret til forsørgelse, eller ydelser, der må sidestilles med eller træder i stedet for løn eller pension."

Does "ydelser, der må sidestilles med eller træder i stedet for løn eller pension" count for dagpenge?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this!
På forhånd mange tak skal du have :D

manofpeace

Indlæg af manofpeace » 28.11.2016 13:55:29

Hi,

I have a question regarding this thread. Since it takes up to a year from the time one applies for citizenship to the time the person gets answer, would it then be valid for one to apply probably six months before one fulfills the 9 years residence rule. For example applying after 8½ years of residence with all other requirements including PR met. Since at the time of processing the person must have stayed the 9 years, would it be ok to apply a little earlier than 9 years.

mh
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh » 28.11.2016 19:27:19

@ Yasmina, 'dagpenge' from 'a-kasse' do not pose a problem. They are to be compared with money paid out from an insurance. You can only get them, if you have paid a 'premium' while you were working in a job.
mh

mh
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh » 28.11.2016 19:45:09

@manofpeace
It should be possible to apply up to 18 months beforehand. You must be sure, however, that you will have fulfilled the residence requirement at the latest before the month where your application will be recorded on the bill to state citizenship.
mh

JackN

Indlæg af JackN » 09.01.2017 10:10:22

So, finally the Danish Citizenship has arrived! I would like to share some information here for people who is on their way to apply for citizenship have an overview.

- June 2015. Submitted the application at the local police station and had an intense interview (in Danish of course). And you have to book this interview yourself.

- August 2015. Received the letter of confirmation from Udlændinge- og Integrationsministeriet that they got my application and they gave me my case number.

- August 2016. Received a message in my E-Boks that said my name is on the next bill and it was on October 2016.

- December 2016. I have become naturalised Danish Citizen.

In my case, I had a straight forward application which is meaning I submitted all necessary documentations, what you need to do is wait for them working on your case. You don't have to call them, and if you do you should have the case number in your hands.

Even your name is on the bill, it does not guaranty 100% that you will get the citizenship. Forgive me to repeat again for new people, the bill is needed to go through 3 times before they approve it. So, in the "first round" even you see your name is on the bill, it can be taken out on the "second or third round" if you are not satisfied with the requirements.

If I remembered correctly there were about 3, 4 or 5 people were taken from the list.

Finally, I sincerely thank you for Mr or Mrs. MH and all the moderator of the forum that answered all my questions during the time I started my application. I wish you all good health, happiness, and success to come.

Regards,
JackN

Besvar