Residence in Sweden after living in Denmark

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Raulsanchez

Residence in Sweden after living in Denmark

Indlægaf Raulsanchez » 20.04.2014 22:21:47

Dear ÆUG,

My spouse and I have read about the Swedish rules and I would like to ask you if this could be a plausible way of action:

I am a non-EU married to a Dane. I got a 2 year temporary residence here in Denmark when we moved in after marrying in 2012 and we are about to renew it now in July. We do not expect any inconveniences, as for now we live up to the requirements for the extension (as I understand, this will be a 3 year temporal extension). However we are also aware of the Swedish national rules that say that I would get a permanent residence in Sweden if we decide to move there (as I am married to a Nordic citizen). It would be logic then to stay in Sweden until I get Swedish citizenship after 5 years (ultimately acquiring a EU passport is our main goal to avoid migration rules), or at least have a permanent residence somewhere in Europe.
1. Would you recommend us to move to Sweden in order to secure my permanent residence? 2. And if so, what effect would this have on my 3-year temporary Danish residence? 3. How exactly would the moving process be? As I see it we would need to find an apartment in Sweden in order to register there and follow the Swedish national rules. Then again at what point can we move without risking my Danish residence? Or does it only matter (of course) if we would like to renew the Danish residence later on? 4. It seems that the Swedish migration office takes almost one year to grant residences (to my dismay they are even more inefficient that the Danish office). How could I travel out of or around Europe while waiting? The written visa stamp that I have gotten at Udlændingestyrelsen does not seem to be very reliable at all.
I really appreciate your help and your information. Kind regards!

skaanebo

Re: Residence in Sweden after living in Denmark

Indlægaf skaanebo » 20.04.2014 23:13:36

Once you move away from Denmark, you will lose your Danish residence permit. Even if you obtained a so-called permanent residence permit in Denmark, it is only permanent as long as you remain in Denmark. Once you move, you lose it.

So you need to ask yourself why you would want to move to Sweden since you are already in Denmark. Is it because you are certain you cannot get the permanent residence permit in Denmark? Or that you don't qualify for Danish citizenship because you don't fulfill the current requirements?

If you have a good life in Denmark now, why move to Sweden?

On the other hand, yes it's quite easy to move there but if you want to use the national Swedish rules it's a little bit tricky since you live in Denmark at the moment. People who use the national rules usually don't have a residence permit in another Schengen country already and usually apply from their home country. So one way or another you might have to live separately from your spouse while the Swedish application is pending and as you know, the process can take quite a while.

mh
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet
Kontakt:

Indlægaf mh » 21.04.2014 16:52:54

Would your spouse be willing to either find a new job in Sweden or commute from Sweden to DK to a job there? Or does your spouse have independent means to support the both of you for at least a year?

If yes to one of these, you may make use of the EU-rules where you would be issued an EU-residence card (after months of waiting, though) which is valid for 5 years, after which you will get a permanent residence card if you fulfill the very few requirements for that. This will, just as a residence permit, give you the possibility to apply for Swedish citizenship when you have lived in Sweden for 5 years.

Using the EU-rules you may move to Sweden together.
mh

fundiver199

Indlægaf fundiver199 » 21.04.2014 18:19:10

skaanebo skrev:So you need to ask yourself why you would want to move to Sweden since you are already in Denmark. Is it because you are certain you cannot get the permanent residence permit in Denmark? Or that you don't qualify for Danish citizenship because you don't fulfill the current requirements?

For me this is the key point. There is a lot of talk about, how "strict" the danish rules are. But is it REALLY that impossible for you to live up to the current danish requirements for permanent residenceship and danish citizenship?

* Are you going to work or study in Denmark?

* Are you going to learn the danish language at the very basic A1 level and later the still only intermidiate A2 level?

* Have you committed crime, which have send you to prison, or are you planning to do so in the future?

If your answer to these questions are "yes", "yes" and "no", then what exactly is the problem? And why would you then waste a lot of time and money moving to Sweden?

Just to present a slightly contrarian view, I would like to make the claim, that it is actually extremely easy to become a danish citizen, if you are an even moderately well functioning and ressource strong person living a plain and normal life.

So again: Whats wrong with the place, where you already are? Unless you have a very clear and precise answer to this, dont bother to cross the river in the anticipation, that the grass is any greener on the other side.

mebha

Indlægaf mebha » 10.02.2016 12:02:05

Raulsanchez skrev:Dear ÆUG,

My spouse and I have read about the Swedish rules and I would like to ask you if this could be a plausible way of action:

I am a non-EU married to a Dane. I got a 2 year temporary residence here in Denmark when we moved in after marrying in 2012 and we are about to renew it now in July. We do not expect any inconveniences, as for now we live up to the requirements for the extension (as I understand, this will be a 3 year temporal extension). However we are also aware of the Swedish national rules that say that I would get a permanent residence in Sweden if we decide to move there (as I am married to a Nordic citizen). It would be logic then to stay in Sweden until I get Swedish citizenship after 5 years (ultimately acquiring a EU passport is our main goal to avoid migration rules), or at least have a permanent residence somewhere in Europe.
1. Would you recommend us to move to Sweden in order to secure my permanent residence? 2. And if so, what effect would this have on my 3-year temporary Danish residence? 3. How exactly would the moving process be? As I see it we would need to find an apartment in Sweden in order to register there and follow the Swedish national rules. Then again at what point can we move without risking my Danish residence? Or does it only matter (of course) if we would like to renew the Danish residence later on? 4. It seems that the Swedish migration office takes almost one year to grant residences (to my dismay they are even more inefficient that the Danish office). How could I travel out of or around Europe while waiting? The written visa stamp that I have gotten at Udlændingestyrelsen does not seem to be very reliable at all.
I really appreciate your help and your information. Kind regards!

Hi Raulsanchez,

I saw your post and was wondering what you decided as I am in a similar situation. I am a non EU national, married to a Danish citizen, and legally residing in Denmark for 2 years now. I will finish my Master STudy next year and we were thinking of moving to Malmo and I could look for a job in Malmo or copenhagen and commute from there if necessary. My husband would keep his job in Copenhagen and commute from Malmo.

Did you find out more about the possibility of obtaining a Swedish permanent residence permit right away, if your Danish spouse in Denmark for 2 years? I have read about this in dfferent places but have not been able to obtain any authentic information.

If you investigated further into this, please let me know. Thanks very much :)

mh
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet
Kontakt:

Indlægaf mh » 10.02.2016 21:27:16

Regardless, if you are a non-EU-citizen, you can not live in Sweden and work in DK - at least not without a special work-permit. A Swedish EU-residence card does not give you right to work in any other country than Sweden.
mh

tee_rex

Indlægaf tee_rex » 15.11.2016 21:38:20

Hello Everyone

1st of all I would like to thank everyone who has participated in answering. It was really helpful. I just need some help with my application.
I'm married to a danish citizen and we live in Denmark right now. Next month we are moving to Sweden as we already bought an apartment. My wife will commute to work from Malmo. I will move with her to Sweden and apply for the resident permit. Also, my Danish permit is valid until 17th March 2017.
I want to apply for a Resident permit according to Swedish rules.
I have called migrationsverket, went to the office and spoke to them. Also,I have emailed them. However, I could not get a straight answer from them. Some of them said I can apply with Swedish rules, some of them said I can only apply with EU rules and few said I can apply with both EU and Swedish rules. I am really confused with their replies. Can someone help me in this situation?

Thanks in advance
Thilina

Tilbage til "IN ENGLISH"